2016 was, for many, not great. Countless celebrity deaths, political and social turmoil, and ultimately a lot of bad that threatened to outweigh the good. For some, the darkness was too much. For others, it balanced out.
Count me among those who found it to be a mixed bag. Here’s a brief rundown of my 2017 year:
- January – Business as usual, except for Alissa being 9 months pregnant (surprise!)
- February – Annika Catherine born on the 19th at 10:10am; 7 pounds, three ounces.
- March – Returned to work after a two-week break to adjust to our family of four.
- April – Annika suffers a herniated ovary and has surgery at barely two months old.
- May – While biking to work, I’m hit by a car making an illegal left turn. The diagnosis? A deep muscle contusion and lower back sprain.
- Summer – Weddings! Babies! Paternity Leave!
- Fall – Back to work, back to reality.
- Winter – Christmas!
Clearly, the back end of my year was an improvement, but gosh, what a start. And with all these new challenges, both my writing (which has been at a standstill for a few years now) and my fitness began to suffer. Between Annika’s birth and my crash, I was off my feet for four full weeks, to say nothing of just being too tired to run on other weeks. Save the Boxing Day 10-miler, I didn’t race for the first time since 2013. I doubt I logged more than a kilometer per day, all said.
2017 will be different. I’m signed up for 5 races, with some lofty goals for three of them. And I’m hoping to use that as a chance to get this old blog up and running again, if only to provide something resembling a training log.
So welcome back, faithful reader. I hope you don’t mind that my movie reviews have been replaced by shoe reviews, and I hope you’ll stick around.